Mtibwa plantation is situated in Morogoro Region and on eastern side of the slopes of Nguu Mountains, in Mvomero District. It lies between latitude 60 -60 10’S and longitude 370 40’ -370 -45’ E. It is about 95 km from Morogoro town along the Morogoro – Dakawa –Korogwe road and about 120 km from Morogoro town along Morogoro- Magore-Korogwe road. The plantation is surrounded by five villages namely, Dihinda in the Notrh East, Lusanga in the East, Kunke in South West, Madizini in the South and Kidudwe in the East. It receives annual average rainfall o 1200 mm and temperature between 280C and 330C
Teak was introduced at Mtibwa block as a small trial plot of 8 acres in 1936, other experimental plots were established in 1954, 1955 and 1957 at Lusunguru block. Large scale of teak planting started in 1961 at Mtibwa block. Mtibwa plantation occupies a total area of about 16,065.6 ha, and for effective management the area is divided into three blocks namely, Mtibwa (1,023.6 ha), Lusunguru (2,092 ha) and Pagale (12,950 ha). The main tree species grown is Tectona grandis (95%) while other tree species include Cedrela ordarata, Melicia excelsa, Khaya anthotheca and Afzelia quanzensis (5%). This plantation and its associated natural forests is potential for hydrological and biodiversity.
Mtibwa plantation is the first largest government owned teak plantation, and has been a good source of teak seeds for most of teak woodlots and privately owned plantations in Tanzania.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Mtibwa Forest Plantation,
P.o Box . 18