The plantation started in 1954 with the purpose of afforestating the open glades of the then Kilimanjaro Territorial Forest Reserve which was gazetted in 1921 and regazetted in 1940 under Government Notice No. 227 Cap. 132. The aim of establishing the plantation at that time was to increase the watershed protective capacity. The other aim was to reduce the erosion problem on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro. The first compartment was established in Sanya Juu (one Ha) and planted with Juniperus procera.
The planting of trees was further expanded in 1956 in the pyrethrum licensed areas of Wasendo. Pinus patula, Cupressus lusitanica and Pinus radiata were the main species planted. The plantation was established through Taungya system (licensed cultivators).
In 1960 the Lemosho glade was opened for licensed crop cultivation and thus tree planting commenced in 1963.
The project for cultivation of various peripheral glades including Hillwood along the boundary was abandoned in 1957 due to failure caused by drought.
A survey for the wood consumption and timber utilization carried out in 1960/61 showed a shortage of wood supply in the regions of Arusha and Kilimanjaro. This necessitated a need to increase the rate of tree planting through clearing of the natural forest areas.
184.108.40.206 Division of the Plantation
The plantation is divided into four main ranges namely Wasendo, Lemosho, Hillwood and Sanya juu.
Wasendo range is divided into sub ranges namely Maua Kiboma, Bagamoyo and Simba.Mpodoni, Matadi, and Suzana are sub ranges of Lemosho range in Sanya Juu range it have Mowo and Kifufu subrange and Hillwood it only have subrange namely Hillwood.
The Lemosho range has a total area of 2,685.4ha.
TheWasendo range has a total area of 4,460.41ha
(iii) Hill wood
The Hillwood range has a total area of 121.1ha.3
(iv) Sanya juu
The sanya juu has a total of area of 365.1ha.