The Shume Forest plantation is located in the Western part of Usambara Mountains in Lushoto District, Tanga Region.
The Shume forest plantation appears on the map that was prepared by the University of Helsinki- Finland, department of forest mensuration and management in 1986 and is available in the office. Also some latest photo mosaic, on the scale of 1:10000 is available in the office.
The plantation is divided into four major plantation blocks, includes Shume West, Shume East, Shagayu, Magamba blocks. Magamba block is located about 10km North of Lushoto township and Shume Block (Gologolo), 27km North of Lushoto township along Magamba –Gologolo road between 4042’S and 38015’E. Shagayu Block is situated about 25km from Shume –Gologolo at 4033’S and 38015’E.
The main access to the plantation is from Tanga –Moshi main road. The distance from Tanga to Shume forest plantation can be reached by continuing the road via the so-called Grewal Sawmill (17.6km) from Lushoto township) to Gologolo, where the forest office and one nursery tree are situated.
A loop road provided the main access within Shume Block to the West, via Shume old station to Manolo village and East via Viti village, then turning West to Manolo again. By continuing the road from Manolo village, Shagayu block can be reached, some 52.8 km from Lushoto Township on the Northward direction (See Appendix 7).
1.2 HISTORY AND PROGRESS OF THE PLANTATION
The Germans felled trees from natural forest in Shume block, their aim was to exploit wood from the natural forests and later, little planting was done in 1900,s. No further planting took place until after the First World War, when the British administration was in power. Planting of Cedar started again in 1922 with some annual fluctuation until 1930’s when other softwood species were introduced. The new species were Cupressus lustanica, Pinus patula and Pinus radita.
Most of the plantations were established by the method of licensed cultivation on cleared natural forests. People were issued with temporary permits to reside and farm in forest reserves and in turn they offered their labour force for various forest activities, including forest establishment and protection. Later as the plantation matured, they were clear felled and people were allowed plots to cultivate food crops, along side with young trees. This is known as Taungya system. Forest Division by that time never incurred costs for land preparation and weeding on large scale. Plantations in Shagayu block were started in 1956 with cypress and some hardwood trials.